I just heard about the case for the first time today so I can’t say I know all the details of what the evidence was, but what I have learned is this:
- Luis Morales did admit to dumping Ebony’s body and lighting it on fire [x]
- He was married to / intimately involved with serial murderer Heriberto Seda, who idolised the infamous Zodiac Killer so much that he took on the persona and began emulating the murders in New York City. (The original Zodiac Killer, whose identity remains unknown, committed murders in California.) [x]
- Morales wrote a letter about Seda saying: “This is the voice of the Zodiac Killer’s Wife…I met my friend, lover and infamous husband…the NYC Zodiac Serial Killer. I can honestly say that my sweet serial killer is a lady’s man now. Only if I was a real woman I could bring about little future serial killers to terrorize NYC like my husband did. How [New Yorkers] would of loathed the Zodiac Children.” [x]
- Morales and Franco, another gang member on trial for the rape and murder, laughed at the victim’s mother and many of the friends who testified against them said they had bragged about committing the crime. [x]
- Cox supports the Sylvia Rivera Law Project, an organisation that seeks to aid transgender individuals in prison. Now this would be just fine if the trans people receiving support were homeless, low-income, survivors of abuse, etc. who were unjustly imprisoned (such as Cece McDonald), but they’re supporting predatory males like Lewis Stevens, Robert Kosilek, and Scott Konitzer; who were convicted of possession of child pornography, strangling his wife to death, and multiple armed robberies, respectively. [x,y,z]
It’s not like murderers and rapists are honest about the crimes they committed. But even if Morales was not the man who raped and murdered Ebony Nicole Williams, he is still a vile, disgusting man who admires serial killers, daydreamed about training murderers and rapists to “terrorize NYC,” and tried to cover up the murder and further ravaged the victim’s corpse, so there is nothing to defend here, really.